Yuichiro Katsumoto is an artist and educator based in Saitama, Japan. He experiments with manipulating linear objects such as strings, strips, and springs to display letters and pictures.
We humans have created art by writing and painting. It can be said that we have compressed our expressions into two dimensions by lines. He therefore seeks to decompress those lines into physical space, and display kinetic typographies and motion graphics using linear objects.
He trained in video production, physical computing, and design thinking at Keio University SFC. He received a Ph.D. in 2010 and worked as a researcher at the National University of Singapore. He returned to Japan in 2018 and has been teaching design and practicing art at Tokyo Denki University since 2019.
As his record shows, his works have been recognized across the boundaries of art, design, and entertainment. Like Hayao Miyazaki and Takeshi Kitano, who became masters in their own lifetime, his starting point was also entertainment. And as he became passionate about making, what he produced became design and then art.
No internship opportunities are available in this time.
Education and Career
- ACM SIGGRAPH Member Profile (SIGGRAPH.org, 2020)
- "Japanese gadget maker Yuichiro Katsumoto hacks everyday objects to make life a little less serious" (Indorse x FvF, 2019)
- "電子玩具で「面白い」未来を" メディアクリエイター・勝本 雄一朗 (AsiaX, 2014)
- Japan Media Arts Festival (文化庁メディア芸術祭) Excellence Prize (2011), Encouragement Prize (2006)
- Asia Digital Art Award Excellence Award (2017 & 2016), Finalist's Award (2020 & 2015)
- James Dyson Award Japan Regional Judging 2nd & 5th (2012)
- WIRED Creative Hack Award Winner of the 3D Object Category (2016)
- Tokyo Game Show Best Technological Game Award in Sense of Wonder Night (2015)
- Tokyo TDC Annual Awards Prize Nominee Work (2018)
- SIGGRAPH Asia Emerging Technologies Best Demo(2016 & 2012)
- Laval Virtual Award Prize of Art and Culture (2006), Finalist (2008)
- and more....
- ACM SIGGRAPH 2023 Art Gallery, Los Angels, USA, 6-10 August, 2023.
- Sónar+D Project Area, Palau de Congressos de Barcelona, Spain, 15-17 June, 2023.
- ACM SIGGRAPH Asia 2020 Art Gallery, Seoul, South Korea, 4-13 December, 2020 (Virtual).
- Tsing Hua Effects 2020, National Tsing Hua University, Taiwan, 3-22 November, 2020.
- ACM SIGGRAPH 2020 Art Gallery, Washington DC, USA, 17-28 August, 2020 (Virtual).
- AtypI 2019 Beyond Type - Exploring the Type in the Future, Tokyo, Japan, 4-7 September, 2019.
- ACM SIGGRAPH Asia 2018 Art Gallery, Tokyo, Japan, 4-7 December, 2018.
- Ars Electronica Animation Festival 2018, Linz, Austria, 6-10 September, 2018.
- Tokyo TDC Exhibition 2018, Kyoto ddd gallery, Kyoto, Japan, 3 July - 21 August, 2018.
- Open Call #2: Technology in Art, Supernomal, Singapore, 12-22 April, 2018.
- Tokyo TDC Exhibition 2018, Ginza Graphic Gallery (ggg), Tokyo, Japan, 4-28 April, 2018.
- The City Ramble Design Trails (a part of Singapore Design Week 2018), Funan Showsuite, Singapore, 10-11 March, 2018.
- Media Ambition Tokyo 2018, Roppongi Hills 52F Tokyo City View, Tokyo, Japan, 9-25 February, 2018.
- ACM SIGGRAPH Asia 2017 Art Gallery, Bangkok, Thailand, 27-30 November 2017.
- Asia Digital Art Award 2016 Winner Exhibition, Fukuoka Asian Art Museum, Fukuoka, Japan, 2 - 7 March, 2017.
- ACM SIGGRAPH Asia 2016 Art Gallery, Macao, 5-8 December, 2016.
- Game Developers Conference 2016 Alt.Ctrl.GDC showcase, Moscone Center, San Francisco, CA, USA, 16-18 March, 2016.
- Asia Digital Art Award 2015 Winner Exhibition, Fukuoka Asian Art Museum, Fukuoka, Japan, 25 February - 1 March, 2016.
- Taipei Game Show 2016, Taipei World Trade Center, Taipei, Taiwan (Republic of China), 28-29 January, 2016.
- GameStart Asia 2015, Suntec Convention Centre, Singapore, 13-15 November, 2015.
- Kagoshima Art Festa 2015, Kagoshima, Japan, 30 September - 3 October, 2015.
- Tokyo Game Show 2015 Sense of Wonder Night, Makuhari, Japan, 17-20 September, 2015.
- DA VINCI: SHAPING THE FUTURE, ArtScience Museum, Singapore, 15 November, 2014 - May 17, 2015.
- Japan Media Arts Festival in Yamanashi 2013, Kofu, Yamanashi, Japan, 13-20 January, 2013．
- 100% Design Singapore, Singapore, 10-12 October, 2012.
- The 15th Japan Media Arts Festival, Tokyo, Japan, 22 February - 4 March, 2012.
- ACE (Advances in Computer Entertainment Technology) 2011 Creative Showcase and Interactive Art, Lisbon, Portugal, 8-11 November, 2011.
- Space Invaders, Netherlands Media Art Institute, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 28 August - 7 November, 2010.
- Magical Museum Exhibition, Ohita City Museum of Art, Ohita, Japan, 16 July - 31 August, 2010.
- Space Invaders, FACT, Liverpool, United Kingdom, 18 December, 2009 - 28 February, 2010.
- Japan Media Arts Festival in Hamamatsu 2009, Shizuoka University of Art and Culture, Hamamatsu, Japan, 30 October - 3 November, 2009．
- Japan Media Arts Festival in Vienna 2009, MQ, Vienna, Austria, 12-20 September, 2009．
- VIDEO JUEGOS: HISTORIAS LUDICAS, AVENTURAS INSOLITAS, Centro Fundation Telefonica, Lima, Peru, 23 July - 4 October, 2009.
- ACM SIGGRAPH Asia 2008 Art Gallery, Singapore, 10-13 December, 2008.
- Ars Electronica Festival 2008 Take Away (data to go), Linz, Austria, 4-9 September, 2008.
- ACM Multimedia 2007 Art Exhibition, Augsburg, Germany, 25-27 September, 2007.
- Ars Electronica Festival 2007 Pixelspace, Linz, Austria, 5-11 September, 2007.
- File 2007 Games, Sao Paulo, Brazil, 13-17 August, 2007.
- The 10th Japan Media Arts Festival, Tokyo, Japan, 24 February - 4 March, 2007.
- Maker Faire Tokyo 2022, Tokyo Big Sight, 3-4 September, 2022.
- Maker Faire Tokyo 2020, Tokyo Big Sight, 3-4 October, 2020.
- Ogaki Mini Maker Faire 2018, Softopia Japan, 1-2 December 2018.
- Maker Faire Singapore 2017, Singapore Science Centre, 22-23 July, 2017.
- Maker Faire Singapore 2016 (as Mojinazoribu), SUTD, 24-25 June, 2016.
- Singapore Mini Maker Faire 2014, Senja Cashew Community Centre, 26–27 July, 2014.
- Singapore Mini Maker Faire 2012, Singapore Science Centre, 4-5 August, 2012.
- "粘着テープ貼り付け装置、及び、粘着テープ貼り付けシステム," International Patent Application No. PCT/JP2023/026331, filed on 18 July 2023.
- "粘着テープ貼り付け装置、及び、粘着テープ貼り付けシステム," 特願2022-123638, filed on 2 August 2022.
- "Electronic Input Device", International Patent Application No. PCT/SG2017/050592, filed on 1 December 2017.
- "An Array Of Elements And A Human-Computer Interface Device," Singapore Patent No. 10201603192U, granted on 10 October 2017.
- "ヒューマンコンピューターインターフェイスを形成するエレメントのアレイ," Japan Patent No. 6116573, granted on 31 March 2017.
- "An Array Of Elements And A Human-Computer Interface Device," United States of America Patent No. 9,463,267, granted on 11 October 2016.
- "Toy Vehicle," Singapore Patent No. 11201401624P, granted on 5 February 2016.